Z88Arion® identifies the graphical user interface for a structural optimization program based on the finite-element-analysis software Z88, whose solver kernels are developed by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Frank Rieg. It is are freeware software project and can be downloaded available here.
At the moment it is possible to use three different algorithms for topology optimization.
Z88Arion® has a comfortable graphical user interface plus powerful solver kernels, which help minimizing the initial training effort as well as the required calculation time and ensure ease of use.
Z88Arion® basically consists of three parts: preprocessor, solver and postprocessor. In the following, you can learn more about these divisions and look at some screenshots of the software.
Z88Arion® is at first available in German language. An English version is under development.
- STL files in ASCII- and binary-format (*.STL)
Import FE structures:
- ABAQUS (*.INP)
- COSMOS (*.COS)
- Z88 projects (z88i*.txt)
FE model generation:
- Two freeware meshers for tetrahedrons:
- One adaptive tetrahedral mesher for existing tetrahedron-structures (linear)
- One mapped-mesher for superelement-structures (Hexahedrons)
- A picking tool which helps to select nodes and elements easily in order to link surfaces to boundary conditions, material properties, etc.
- An editable and expandable material database consisting of 50 predefined materials
- Definition of boundary condition via the graphical user interface (e.g. by picking a node)
- Different kinds of boundary conditions:
- Forces in all directions
- Displacements in all directions
- Line and surface loads (also projected)
- Pressure, both in positive and negative direction to the element surface
The solver calculates iteratively – depending on the chosen method – the optimal stiffness or the optimal combination of stiffness and stability in compliance with the given restrictions. You can choose between the following optimization algorithms:
- OC method: optimization for minimum compliance respectively maximum stiffness
- SKO method: optimization for maximum stability
- TOSS method (Topology Optimization for Stiffness and Stress): optimization for minimum compliance in combination with maximum stability
As results you get the optimal material distribution in the design space, the compliance and – for the TOSS method – the equivalent stress per element. Further info can be found in the manual of Z88Arion®.
- Visualization of the results based on the Z88Arion® optimization (design variables, compliance, equivalent stress)
- Display of the optimization progress (iterations) and clipping of the part
- Variation of the view boundaries (0-1 distrubution)
- Smoothing of the geometry (iteration selectable)
- Export of the smoothed geometry to STL file
- Direct interface to Z88Aurora®